Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Reconciliation and Over-Simplification


WARNING – this post is a little bit everywhere.  I mean that literally: Kenya, Germany, England, the USA, India, and South Africa not to mention all the time periods… But fear not, I tried to make it fun.

I should have written this blog right after leaving SA, but I still needed to write my December blog so I put it off.  To be honest I also put it off because I wanted more time to think about my experiences and how to translate all of my thoughts and feelings into a coherent blog post.  My experience in Cape Town was amazing overall;  the city truly has everything: beautiful mountains, sandy beaches, diverse cuisines, beautiful art, and my personal favorite, a fascinating history.
Sandy beaches
Table Mountain
One of my favorite courses at Grinnell College was my history class on Southern Africa.  The class was especially memorable due to our unique final project.  Rather than write a paper or give a presentation, each student was given a different person/political party/interest group to represent as our class worked together, and often against one another, to create a new constitution for post-apartheid South Africa.  I was given the Umkhonto we Sizwe, abbreviated as MK, which is Zulu for “spear of the nation”.  The MK was a military branch of the African National Congress, or the ANC, and was co-founded by Nelson Mandela.  The MK was founded in response to the Sharpeville massacre in the belief that the ANC could no longer effectively fight apartheid with nonviolent protest.  The MK was soon classified as a terrorist organization by the South African government and the United States.  Nelson Mandela justified the creation of the MK in his I am Prepared to Die speech saying, “I, and some colleagues, came to the conclusion that as violence in this country was inevitable, it would be unrealistic and wrong for African leaders to continue preaching peace and non-violence at a time when the government met our peaceful demands with force.”  Sorry, I just realized I went all history-major on you and haven’t gotten to the point at all.  The point is, through this activity, I became fascinated with the process of peace building. I also learned that the history of apartheid is not as black and white as it might seem (forgive the unintended tasteless pun).  I found that our class discussions were not one side vs the other, but that there were many disagreements within each group.  In fact, as the MK, I was given the power to utilize force against a group, and was surprised that in the end I used this power only once, against another black South African interest group.

Not only was the class assignment so unique, but the actual peace building process at work was also distinct from any method I had learned about previously.  Let’s backtrack some.  The term apartheid originates from the Afrikaans word “apart” meaning apart and “heid” meaning hood.  A literal translation of apartheid is therefore simply apart-hood, or separation.  With this definition I could make a long list of historical moments of ‘apartheid’.  To name a few obvious ones: The USA from 1877-1954, almost the entirety of Europe from 1939-1945, India and Pakistan from 1947 on, Palestine from 1947 to today, Rwanda in 1994 for approximately 100 terrifying days, the USA from 1941 to 1946, and Kenya from 1952-1960 to name a few.  Really I could go on forever.  In fact, looking back at these examples, I should expand the dates massively considering the definition of apartheid simply as separation.  For instance, I can’t really limit ‘apart-hood’ in the USA to the dates of the Jim Crow laws, and instead should start with recognition of slavery in the Declaration of Independence in 1776.  If we look at the United States alone, I would argue that we have been in a consistent state of ‘apart-hood’ from our creation until 1954.  And can we really stop there?

Again I’m straying from the point… The point is, that apartheid in SA was, in my opinion, unique from all these other moments of separation in our history.  Not because of the brutal pass-laws, or the over-crowded townships, or even because of the obvious intentional ignorance from the rest of the world; unfortunately violence, the trashing of basic human rights, and sheer idiocy can be traced from the beginning of civilization to today.  Instead, I see South Africa’s history as unique because of how apartheid ended.  You see, most students learn history by jumping from Western war to Western war: war of independence, civil war, French revolution, WWI, WWII, Cold War, etc.  But I think a more interesting timeline of history is what happens in between.  Wars are the most boring historical moments.  I mean come on, how many times do you want to read about one white guy killing another white guy on some random battlefield.  BORING.  Instead, let’s talk about what events led to the meeting of these unfortunate white dudes, and the consequences of their so-called ‘heroism’ (I won't even go into the need to focus on a broader group than 'white dudes', cause that is not what my blog is about today).  This is what makes South African Apartheid unique: the aftermath.

I realize this blog post is already getting long and I still haven’t really gotten to my experiences in Cape Town, but I’m going to allow myself to history-major all over the place one more time.  Let’s look at some important past attempts at post-war peace building:

Going back to WWI, the allies did a pretty bad job dealing with the consequences of a World War.  The response was to punish the perpetrators and teach Germany a lesson.  One of the many provisions, called the War Guilt clause, of the Treaty of Versailles required “Germany [to] accept the responsibility of Germany and her allies for causing all the loss and damage.”  Germany was forced to disarm, make huge territorial concessions, and pay what amounted to $31.4 billion in reparations.  Germany was pretty much grounded, put in time-out, and spanked all at once.  No one will ever misbehave again, well-done allies… Right?  If you don't know where this is going, you've been living in a box.  Anyway, this left Germany in a pretty bad spot to say the least.  By November 1923, the American dollar was worth 4,210,500,000,000 German marks.  No I didn’t accidentally add an extra zero or six.  Germans had to spend their money immediately, before inflation caused their pay to be worthless once again.  People were literally running from their workplace to the bakery with their pay in wheelbarrows.  Supposedly a compulsion called zero stroke broke out where people had the desire to write endless rows of zeros… okay that might not be true, but come on, the point is post-WWI Germany was the pits.  And guess what happens when people become desperate?  They elect Hitler.  Maybe that was a dramatic generalization, not all desperate people turn to Hitler, I for example turned to ice cream and Netflix the last time I was desperate.  All joking aside, the Treaty of Versailles left Germany in a place where the only viable answer seemed to be the charismatic and charming Adolf Hitler.  Soon enough the Czech Republic, and every other European country, found that Germany was no longer disarmed, was taking back conceded territories with their eyes on new land, and had essentially left time-out without permission.  England, the USA, and France all did a nice big face-palm and fought their way out of that blunder (not to mention the additional slipup called appeasement) with a little (a lot) of help from good ol’ Stalin (to their great embarrassment).  The allies thought they had learned from their mistakes and, during the Yalta Conference, made sure to stick around for longer to supervise post-WWII Germany.  They brilliantly separated Germany into three parts, leading, of course, to the Berlin Wall… okay arguably better than Hitler, but still not great.  However, in the rush to make everyone happy, the USA and England pissed off some other people.  When faced with a very displeased (to say the least) Jewish population who didn’t have homes or jobs to return to (assuming they wanted to return at all), the two post-war super-powers thought it would be a good idea to give them somewhere new to live.  Who cares if there are people living there already, they're brownish and call God Allah.  And 6,000,000 of the Jews were brutally murdered by the Nazis, not to mention the countless pogroms.  It’s the least they could do right?  Bam… Israel.  Good one guys, really you nailed it.  I did say that idiocy is a trait that can be found in almost every historical moment, and this was no exception.

Holocaust Memorial in Berlin
Berlin Wall
Now that I’ve given you some background, let’s return to South Africa in 1990.  At this point Nelson Mandela had sat in his cell on Robben Island for 18 years, and been moved to serve another nine elsewhere.  During his long time behind bars, he successfully cultivated a garden… oh and he hid his completed manuscript Long Walk to Freedom in the garden.  Almost forgot about that small detail.  With all the time alone with his thoughts, I would like to believe he pondered the mistakes of past peace-builders.  He was finally released in February, a man ready to make peace like no one ever had before.  Gandhi particularly inspired Mandela, which may be obvious due to their many similarities: imprisoned for many years by British colonial rule using extreme separation to subdue the uncivilized brown (I hope you know I'm using this politically incorrect term to make a point) people.  Anyway, I think Nelson took one of Mahatma’s famous quotes to heart:  “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.”  Nelson knew that taking revenge on the suppressors would only leave SA in a worse position than they began.  With this important lesson in mind, Mandela led SA to a completely new peace building process: reconciliation.  Nelson walked out of prison, proceeded to tour the world to pull one country after another out of their deliberate ignorance (despite being considered a communist terrorist by Reagan and Thatcher), and finally proceeded to sit down with the Nationalist President F.W. de Klerk to abolish apartheid and establish multi-racial elections only to become SA’s first black president.  As if that wasn’t enough, he invited other political parties to join the cabinet, and promulgated a brand new constitution.  The cherry on top was the Truth and Reconciliation Commission created to investigate past human rights abuses.
Nelson Mandela's cell on Robben Island
The ship that took prisoners to Robben Island, often through very rough waters
On the boat to Robben Island
I was never all that interested in Catholicism, but that guy is a saint.  In fact, I’m going to sing his praises for another few sentences.  While in prison, as a firm believer that education is the best weapon in anyone’s arsenal, he formed the University of Robben Island where prisoners lectured on their areas of expertise.  Mandela was technically Christian, but, being the open-minded man he was, also studied Islam.  He studied Afrikaans, despite it being the language of the oppressors, hoping build a mutual respect with the warders and convert them to his cause.  He built relationships with every possible group, from the white warders, to his ANC visitors, to the young radical Black Consciousness Movement prisoners despite conflicting beliefs.  As president he combatted poverty, encouraged land reform, and expanded healthcare,  only to decline to run for a second term.  Instead, he focused on charitable work to combat poverty and HIV/AIDS through his Nelson Mandela Foundation.  I don’t think there has ever been a better man.  In Southern Africa, many people still refer to Mandela as Madiba, meaning father, and I absolutely love it.
The Madiba is everywhere
Okay back to the TRC.  The Truth and Reconciliation Commission was a court-like restorative justice body.  The goal of the TRC was to bear witness to, record, and in some cases grant amnesty to the perpetrators of human rights violations.  The TRC had three committees: one to investigate human rights abuses, one to restore victims’ dignity and assist with rehabilitation, and one to consider applications for amnesty.  The hearings were public, allowing the entire population to take part in the trials simply by watching.  The TRC granted amnesty to those whose crimes were politically motivated, proportionate, and only when there was full disclosure by the person seeking amnesty.  In addition, no side was exempt from appearing before the commission, and the commission heard reports from everyone from the apartheid state to the liberation forces, including the ANC.

Though many maybe correctly believe that justice is a prerequisite to reconciliation rather than an alternative to it, I believe the TRC was, at least, a promising method for peace building.  The TRC was far from flawless, and it is impossible for everyone to be happy after something as horrendous as apartheid.  Perhaps truth and reconciliation are only the first step in a longer process of justice, and we have yet to figure out the next steps.  However, in comparison to past attempts to overcome extreme violence, I think the TRC was much more successful than the Treaty of Versailles or the Potsdam conference.  I know I’m give extreme examples, but WWI, WWII, and apartheid were all extreme instances of violence.  Regardless of varying perceptions of the TRC, it was, and still is, a fascinating experiment.  And now, without further ado, I’ll finally get to my experiences in Cape Town:

Whoops that's not Cape Town...
JK I’m going to talk about Germany some more.  I distinctly remember my time in Germany as being quiet and muffled.  There is a strong sense of shame in Berlin, and no one mentions Hitler or the Nazis.  I encourage you to check out a full explanation of my experiences in Berlin in one of my old, and I think best, blog posts, called The Fatherland. ­­­­ ­My experience in Cape Town stands in stark contrast to my time in Berlin.  The city was bright and cheerful, boasting culture around every street corner.  During my visit to Robben Island, I caught up to my guide to privately ask him why he was imprisoned on the island during apartheid.  He told me that he led riots at his school during the Soweto uprisings.  Unlike in Germany, anyone above the age of 25 can remember their own experience of apartheid.  In Germany, the wounds of WWI and II, not to mention the gash of the Cold War, have been wrapped and padded in yellowing gauze while everyone walks around careful not to upset old injuries.  In Cape Town, the big bright band-aid known as the TRC is new, covered in cartoon characters, and probably waterproof.  However, historians, including myself, don’t have the same perspective on apartheid that we have on WWI and II.  We can easily review the mistakes of the Treaty of Versailles now that the consequences are laid out in a full timeline leading to WWII.  I can only guess what the consequences of reconciliation in SA will be, but I am hopeful to say the least.  Based on my experiences in Cape Town, it seems this injury won’t be covered with the goal of forgetting, but instead has the chance to heal into scar standing as a proud symbol for the power of reconciliation and forgiveness.
Colorful Cape Town culture 
Despite my optimism and deep love for all things Mandela, including the TRC, I realize my view is extremely flawed.  While I saw Cape Town as bright and bustling, I cannot ignore the fact that my view was extremely limited.  For example, every tour company boasts guided walks through townships during the day.  Each of these advertisements is paired with a bold warning in red not to walk through these areas alone or at night.  The thought of parading through a low-income black neighborhood as a privileged white tourist, doubtlessly with other privileged white tourists with their expensive cameras hanging over their brand new t-shirts sporting various random Mandela quotes, sounds like the a tasteless SNL sketch, or maybe an edgy new comic by Charlie Hebdo.  For this reason, I never visited a township during my stay in Cape Town.  I got the chance to explore other parts of the city on foot, though this was limited to specificly white-tourist-approved zones.  I'm not sure how a privileged white female tourist could possibly see the darker side of Cape Town without putting themselves in danger of at least an almost assured mugging.  I did see the dark side once when driving out to Cape Point on my first day only to pass two men beating another man to a pulp, though this could have happened in any city I suppose and therefore did not necessarily have any connection to the TRC or apartheid leftovers.  Despite the proud culture and history on display in Cape Town, violence and remaining segregation is equally visible if you only sneak past the shiny band-aid called TRC.  All in all, as a future international lawyer and peace-builder, I am sitting on the edge of my seat watching the aftermath of apartheid and the TRC play out.  Regardless of the results, the world is in desperate need of new and effective methods to move forward from violence.  One only need look towards the Middle East to understand my hope that truth and reconciliation can overcome hate and violence.
In our rental car shortly before we saw a guy getting beat up
View of Cape of Good Hope from Cape Point
After this novel of a blog post, I will save you from a summary of my activities in Cape Town, and simply refer you to my Facebook photo album to get an idea of where I was and to see the stunning city of Cape Town.  I also encourage everyone ever to read Mandela’s Long Walk to Freedom, as it is one of the most inspiring books I’ve ever read.  Actually, if you want any recommendations of books about any of the time periods I talked about, just ask.  Start with Kaffir Boy, it’s one of the best books about apartheid in SA.  I'm also interested to hear other opinions of the TRC, and hopeful that I will get to study it in more depth in the coming years.  To wrap up, I’ll go back to the great Mandela to end this seemingly endless post, despite the fact that this quote is probably hiding beneath an expensive camera hanging around some privileged white tourist’s neck on a township tour right now:

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion.  People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

 - Madiba
Overlook beautiful Cape Town from the top of Table Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment